Irish Economy 2013: There were 9,306 new private cars licensed in July
2013, compared with 6,164 in July 2012, an increase of 51.0%. The CSO said it
should be noted that the '132' number plate was introduced from the 1st July
The number of new goods vehicles licensed in July 2013 was 953, down 6.2%
from July 2012.
The licensing figures also show that:
- In July 2013, the total number of all vehicles licensed was 17,426
compared with 12,113 in the corresponding month last year – an increase of
- The total number of all new vehicles licensed during July 2013 was
11,228 compared with 7,944 during the same month in 2012 - an increase of
- In July 2013, the total number of used (imported) private cars licensed
was 4,587 compared with 3,143 during July 2012 - an increase of 45.9%.
- In July 2013, of the 9,306 new private cars licensed, 2,658 (28.6%) were
petrol and 6,539 (70.3%) were diesel.
- The highest number of new private cars licensed in July 2013, classified
by make, was Ford (1,441) followed by Volkswagen (1,181), Toyota (836) and
The licensing figures refer to vehicles taxed for road use only and
classified by taxation class.
David McNamara of Davy comments - -"As expected, vehicle sales
rocketed in July, rising 41.3% yoy to 7,944. New private car sales rose 51% yoy
to 9,306. The introduction of the new '132' vehicle plate system meant sales
plummeted in June, falling 37% yoy, but the declines have largely been offset in
July. Cumulatively, the 58,800 private car sales in the year to July are still
down on the 65,100 sales in the same period in 2012 --suggesting that the bounce
in car sales will be spread more evenly across the second half of the year."
Check out our
, at a low annual charge of €25