Printer-friendly page from Finfacts Ireland Business News - Click for the News Main Page - A service of the Finfacts Ireland Business and Finance Portal|
Irish new car registrations in January 2015 up 31%
By Michael Hennigan, Finfacts founder and editor
Feb 2, 2015 - 2:58 PM
The Society of the Irish Motor Industry (SIMI ) official statistics show that new car registrations in January are 31% (29,948) up on January 2014 which should see sales comfortably exceed 100,000 at the end of the year, for the first time since 2008.
Current Industry projections indicate that new car sales should be close to 115,000 with Light Commercials, currently up by 70% (4,839) in January set to exceed 20,000, again for the first time since 2008. While HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicle) registrations are down 37%.
Toyota is the best selling brand for the month, with 3,866 new car registrations. It has knocked Volkswagen(3,129 registrations) from the top spot. Ford is third with 3,129 registrations, followed by Hyundai in fourth place with 2,941.
On model sales, the VW Golf was the bestselling car in the month followed by the Ford Focus and Toyota Corolla, in second and third place respectively. Over 1,500 VW Golf cars were sold in January.
- 96,344 new car sales in 2014, up 29.6% on 2013;
- €965 million Exchequer contribution in 2014 from car sales;
- Employment up 10.1% with 3,800 new jobs created;
- Petrol prices down 7.5%, Diesel prices down 9.6%, Insurance Costs up 11.6%;
- January 2015 sales at 29,948 cars, up 31% on January 2014;
- 2015 forecast of 120,000 sales, 2,600 new jobs created;
- "VW Golf” most searched used car, “2008” most searched used car year (DoneDeal)
New Car Sales
- New car sales in January up 31% on last year;
- 29,948 cars were sold in January v 22,893 in 2013;
- LCV sales in January up 71% (4,839) on last year;
- HGV sales in January down 37% (175) on last year;
- Top 3 selling car brands were Toyota, Volkswagen, Ford, Hyundai, Nissan;
- Top 3 selling models were the Volkswagen Golf, Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, Ford Fiesta, Hyundai IX35;
- Top selling van was the Ford Transit Van
© Copyright 2011 by Finfacts.com